Food and Drink

Eating in College

We offer a range of high-quality, good-value food (including vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options) for breakfast, lunch and dinner in St Hilda's Dining Hall. There is a Formal Dinner once a week in term-time, as well as occasional special dinners. Our easy-to-use cashless card system means that you only pay for the meals you eat. For those who want to cook their own food, there are also kitchens around College. For a quick snack, the Dining Hall is open between meals.

Term Time Dining Room Opening Hours

Meal Monday to Friday Saturday Sunday Other
Breakfast 8am to 10am      
Brunch   11am to 1pm    
Lunch 12pm to 2pm      
Dinner 5.30pm to 7.30pm    5.30pm to 7.30pm   
Formal Hall       7.30pm (TBA)

You can check the Weekly Menu, which is updated every Monday during Term Time. 

The Cashless Card System: UPay

The College operates a cashless card system for all Dining Hall transactions. You will need your University card (Bod card) to pay for your food and drink in the Hall. Your Bod card* acts like a debit card in College, although money must be credited to the card prior to use.

You can add money to your card online via UPay. You can also use the site to check your balance and usage history, see offers and promotions, and book Formal Hall** and subject dinners.

All students will be sent an email inviting them to register and create their account. Simply follow the link which will take you to the University Single Sign On, enter your details and accept the terms and conditions.

Until you set up your account with UPay, you will be able to top up in the Finance Office between Monday and Friday. However, we encourage you to set up your UPay account as soon as possible. Payment is accepted by debit or credit card, with a minimum account of £20. The card does not have an overdraft facility, so it is important that you know the balance prior to purchasing food, which you can do online or at any till in the Hall.

The Buttery (or College snack bar), which is in the Junior Common Room, sells toasties, bagels, crisps, chocolate, sweets and hot and cold drinks. Battels*** are all bills paid to college for rent, food, library fines, printing etc. You will receive your battels by email to your St Hilda's email address. Details of how to pay are contained in the email.


*Your Bod card is the University card that you are given by College, and which you need to gain entrance to 'The Bod'. This is the name given to the Bodleian Library, the University’s central reference library. It includes several buildings (e.g. New Bod, Old Bod, Radcliffe Camera – or ‘Rad Cam’), most of which are found in or around Radcliffe Square in the centre of town. 

**Formal Hall is a served dinner in Hall which takes place once a week (Wednesdays).

***Battels include an amount of meal credits per term, which are put on your Bod card. Detailed meal arrangements, including about Formal Halls and how to book for them, are described in the Student Handbook.


Salad Bar in St Hilda's College Dining HallSt Hilda's Dining Hall servery at lunchtime