The Treaty of Peace was signed on 28th June 1919 in the Hall of Mirrors at the Palace of Versailles, France. Commonly referred to as the Treaty of Versailles, it came into effect on 10th January 1920 and officially marked the end of the First World War. Printed copies were published and printed by His Majesty’s Stationery Office in 1919, and St Hilda’s Library purchased its copy soon after, in 1920.
The treaty begins:
'Bearing in mind that on the request of the Imperial German Government an armistice was granted on November 11, 1918, to Germany by the Principal Allied and Associated Powers in order that a Treaty of Peace might be concluded with her,
From the coming into force of the present Treaty the state of war will terminate. From that moment and subject to the provisions of this Treaty official relations with Germany, and with any of the German States, will be resumed by the Allied and Associated Powers.’
The Treaty imposed many territorial, military, and economic sanctions on Germany, and negotiations were led by the United States, Britain, France, Italy, and Japan. Facsimiles of their representatives’ signatures were printed inside the copies the Treaty, including those of David Lloyd George, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, and Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States.