St Hilda’s grounds have a hallowed history stretching back to the Middle Ages, when Edmund Rich, the first Oxford Don to be made a saint, used to wander through Cowley fields.
In 2018, we created a Suffragette Border in Hall Garden to mark the 100th anniversary of the first women winning the right to vote. Our new border adds colour and scent to a relaxed and quiet outdoor space for College members and guests. In the summer months, it is full of suffragette colours with purple and white plants, including asters, erigeron (the darkest of all dunkelstealles), penstemon (sour grapes), anenomes, and clematises. Some evergreen plants will give year-round colour.
The wall flower bed at the end of Hall Garden has been developed as our Blossom Border, to honour the Japanese connection already present in the Prunus mume and hawthorn trees. We have added hydrangea, anenomes, daphnes, and wisteria. Our riverside walk outside South Building is full of seasonal colour.
Our rose garden was created in memory of Winifred Moberley, Principal of St Hilda's from 1919 - 1928, by the Old Students' Association. The bird bath in th erose garden is engraved with her initials, WHM. The garden was restored and replanted in 2011, thanks to a gift from our alumna, Margaret Bliss, née Massey Stewart, (Biochemistry, 1852).