CBE, MA, M Sc Econ, LlB
Mavis Maclean has carried out Socio Legal research in Oxford since 1974, and is now joint Director of OXFLAP. She has acted as the Academic Adviser to the Lord Chancellor’s Department since 1997, and served as a panel member on the Bristol Royal Infirmary Inquiry between 1998 and 2001, a major public inquiry into the National Health Service. She is a Senior Research Fellow in the Faculty of Law. In 1993 she was elected President of the Research Committee for the Sociology of Law, International Sociological Association, in 2000 a Trustee of the Law and Society Association, and in 2002 a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and the ESRC Research College SHARe . She has served on a number of grant making committees, notably the Children and Family Justice Committee, Nuffield Foundation 1996-, the Research Liaison Group for Children’s Services, Department of Health 1996-, and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation Social Policy Committee. She was a member of Lord Chancellor’s Legal Aid Advisory Committee 1992-4, and is a Fellow of the IISL, Onati, Spain. She is a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Social Welfare Law and the Family, and of the Management Committees of the Centre for Family Research, Cambridge, and the One Parent Families Association. Her research interests are Family Law and Family Policy, particularly from a comparative perspective.
* Lawyers and Mediators : the Brave New World of Services for Separating Families, Mavis Maclean and John Eekelaar, in production, Hart, Oxford
* Delivering Family Justice in the 21st Century, ed Mavis Maclean, John Eekelaar and Benoit Bastard, 2015, Hart, Oxford
* Family Justice, John Eekelaar and Mavis Maclean, 2013, Hart, Oxford
* Managing Family Justice in Diverse Societies, ed Mavis Maclean and John Eekelaar, 2013, Hart, Oxford, ( paperback 2015)
* Making Family Law; a socio legal account of legislative process with Jacek Kurczewski, 2010, Hart, Oxford
* Family Law Advocacy with John Eekelaar, 2009, Hart, Oxford
* Parenting after Partnering (ed) Hart Onati Series, 2007
* Maclean, Mavis (ed.) (2005) Family Law and Family Values Hart Publishing, Oxford Hbk 1-84113-547-X, Pbk 1-84113-548-8
* Maclean, Mavis (2005) Parenthood should not be regarded as a right in Archives of Disease in Childhood
* Maclean, Mavis, & Eekelaar, John (2005) Taking the plunge: perceptions of risk taking associated with formal and informal partner relationships in Child and Family Law Quarterly Vol. 17, No. 2
* Maclean, Mavis & Eekelaar, John (2005) The Significance of Marriage: Contrasts between White British and Ethnic Minority Groups in England in Law and Policy Vol. 27, No. 3. ISSN 0265-8240
* Eekelaar, J & Maclean, M (2004) Marriage and the Moral Bases of Personal Relationships Journal of Law and Society, vol31 no 4 Dec 2004, pp510-539
* Maclean, M & Eekelaar, J (2004) The Obligations and Expectation of couples within families; three modes of interaction Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 26(2), pp117-130
* Maclean, M & Eekelaar, J (2004) Personal Relationships, Marriage and Morals Working Paper 2004/1, Oxford Centre for Family Law and Policy, Department of Social Policy and Social Work. ISBN 0-9541 703-5-0
* Maclean, Mavis (2001) 'How does an inquiry inquire? A brief note on the working methods of the Bristol Royal Infirmary Inquiry' Journal of Law and Society Vol 28 (4), December 2001, 590-601.
* Maclean, M (2001) 'Doctors, parents and the law-organ retention after paediatric cardiac surgery at the Bristol royal Infirmary Inquiry' Child and Family Law Quarterly, vol 13, no 4, 2001.
* Katz, S, Eekelaar, J & Maclean, M (eds) (2000) Cross Currents: Family Law and Policy in the United States and England Oxford University Press.
* Eekelaar, J, Maclean, M & Beinart, S (2000) Family Lawyers Hart, Oxford.
* Maclean, M (ed) (2000) Making Law for Families Hbk 1-84113-205-5, Pbk 1-84113-206-3 - Hart Publishing, Oxford.
* Maclean, M with Warman, A (2000) 'A comparative approach to child support systems' in Melli, M (ed) Child Support: the Next Frontier University of Michigan Press.
* Maclean, M (2000) 'Access to justice for families in post war Britain' in Katz, S, Eekelaar, J and Maclean, M (eds) Cross Currents: Family Law and Policy in the United States and England OUP.
* Lewis, Jane with Maclean, Mavis (1997) 'Recent Developments in Family Policy in the UK: the Case of the 1996 Family Law Act' in May, M, Brunsdon, E & Craig, G (eds) Social Policy Review 9, Social Policy Association.
* Maclean, Mavis, Eekelaar, J (1997) The Parental Obligation Hart, Oxford
* Maclean, Mavis, Kurczewski, J (1997) Family Law and Family Policy in the New Europe Dartmouth